In today’s busy world, learn how to achieve work/life balance. Business coach Clay Clark and Dr Z get into the nitty gritty details of work/life balance.
Question: Do you ever feel bad about ranking people and how do you make sure to keep high quality talent?
- NOTABLE QUOTABLE – “Your job is take the A’s (20%) at any moment in time [and] reward them in the pocketbook with lots of money, with promotions, with opportunities, with a vision of where they can go. You never want your A’s to think ‘Oh geeze I’ve done all this, but I’m getting the same as this person over here – it’s terrible.’ You want them saying ‘I got recognized, the company is taking care of me, they’re pushing me up.’”
- NOTABLE QUOTABLE – “You want to send them to training, you want to give them stock options or ways to grow, you want to give them all that. But you [also] want to give them a path to becoming A’s.”
- Dr Z – On keeping high quality talent –
- Take good care of your people. If you do not someone else will.
Work / Life Balance 101:
- Total life balance is not a thing if you want to achieve a disproportionate amount of success. Life is all about tradeoffs.
- Chupp – You have one life and that life involves working for a portion of it. Work hard in the early days to create time freedom as soon as possible
- Z – If you are working to much then your family will let you know.
- Clay – It’s all about tradeoffs. If you want to be great at something then you will have to say no to things to create the time needed to become great.
- Steve Currington – You want but be present when you are home. If you are at work then work. If you are at home then be home.
NOTABLE QUOTABLE – “Do things now that won’t pay off until later. Most people wish and pray things will work out. But you don’t have to do that. Spend time planning your day so you get the most important things done.” – Lee Cockerell (Former Executive Vice President of Walt Disney World Resorts who once managed 40,000 people as the former Executive Vice President of Walt Disney World Resorts)