Contrarian Beliefs and Formative Experiences
Successful people often view the world very differently from everybody else. Business Coach Clay Clark and Doctor Zoellner break down their contrarian beliefs and a few formative experiences that made them who they are today.
What beliefs do you have that most people think are crazy?
- Paul Hood –
- NOTABLE QUOTABLE – “I think I can be successful in any realm of business if I work hard enough.” – Paul Hood (CPA and entrepreneur)
- NOTABLE QUOTABLE – “If you’re willing to work hard, but don’t know where to start just look around you. Go out on the block and a find a store with a dirty sidewalk and start sweeping it. Don’t worry about whether the owner is going to pay you or not. Just start sweeping. Don’t worry if your friends come down the block and start calling you a sucker. Don’t worry if a girl you like walks by and sees you with a broom in your hand. Just keep sweeping and working your hardest at making sure the sidewalk always looks good. Because if you come out every morning and sweep in front of that store everyday with a smile, it won’t be long before the owner notices and finds you a job inside the store.” – Russell Simmons (Co-founder of Def Jam Records and the father of modern hip hop)
- Chupp –
- NOTABLE QUOTABLE –
“Work for cheap and/or for free to build value.” – Eric Chupp (Business Coach)
- Dr Z. –
- NOTABLE QUOTABLE – “The big pig eats first at the trough.” – Doctor Zoellner (Optometrist and entrepreneur)
- As a business owner you need to put yourself first!
- The business is built to serve YOU!
- In order to do something for someone else you have to do something for yourself first
- Clay Clark –
- Everyday is a gift and wasting it is offensive to God.
- Work as unto the Lord or you will lose.
- NOTABLE QUOTABLE – “23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, 24 since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.” – Colossians 3:23-24 (The Bible)
- NOTABLE QUOTABLE – “Your business exists to serve you.” – Doctor Zoellner (Optometrist and entrepreneur)
What were your most formative experiences?
- NOTABLE QUOTABLE – “You’ve got to eat while you dream. You’ve got to deliver on short-range commitments, while you develop a long-range strategy and vision and implement it. The success of doing both. Walking and chewing gum if you will”. – Jack Welch (Former CEO of GE who grew the company by 4,000% during his tenure)