The venture capitalist and the man who is credited with having invented the phrase FOMO (fear of missing out) joins how to share super moves for making practical decisions in a world now filled with overwhelming choice.
NOTES: I’m a venture capitalist based in NYC, but I’m best known as the person who coined the term FOMO. My role as the creator of FOMO (and a related term FOBO, or Fear of a Better Option) has been highlighted in media outlets including: The New York Times, Politico, The Financial Times, The Guardian, and Inc. I also gave a 2019 TED Talk on decision-making and I’m the host of FOMO Sapiens a podcast distributed by Harvard Business Review, about how leaders make tough decisions.
- Patrick McGinnis, welcome onto the Thrivetime Show, how are you sir!?
- I know that you’ve had a ton of success at this point in your career, but I would love to start off at the bottom and the very beginning of your career. What was your life like growing up and where did you grow up?
- Georgetown Graduate:
- Allen Iverson
- Patrick McGinnis When did you first figure out what you wanted to do professionally?
- When did you first feel like you were truly beginning to gain traction with your career?
- So what inspired you to write your new book, “Fear of Missing Out Sapiens: Practical-Decision-Making in a World of Overwhelming Choice?”
- Patrick McGinnis Your book has been endorsed by folks like Arianna Huffington, Shawn Achor, Tony Hsieh, and Nir Eyal…why do you think your book is resonating with so many people?
- From your research, why are people so paralyzed by fear? (this book was written before the Coronavirus crisis)
- EXAMPLES: Whether you’re making major decisions in your life or your career or you’re trying to pick something to watch on Netflix.
- In your book you write Fear of Missing Out Sapiens: Practical-Decision-Making in a World of Overwhelming Choice you write about it, but I would like to get your take on why choosing something requires you to have the courage to miss out on the rest?
- What is FOMO and what is FOBO?
- Fear of A Better Option
- Fear of Missing Out
- How does FOMO impact mental health, productivity, and financial well-being?
- How does FOMO and FOBO impact major world events?
- EXAMPLE: CoronaVirus
- You come across as a very proactive person…so how do you typically organize the first four hours of your and what time do you typically wake up?
- What are a few of your daily habits that you believe have allowed you to achieve success?
- Patrick McGinnis What mentor has made the biggest impact on your career thus far?
- What has been the biggest adversity that you’ve had to fight through during your career?