Do you ever find yourself feeling overwhelmed? What if you had the ability to endure pain or hardship without the display of negative feelings or complaint? Multiple-time New York Times best-selling writer and media strategist Ryan Holiday shares the power of stoicism while breaking down his new book, LIVES OF THE STOICS: The Art of Living from Zeno to Marcus Aurelius.
- What it was like interning for the best-selling author of 48 Laws of Power Robert Greene
- His process for editing a book
- Why you must embrace the fact that you will run into negative and bad people
Follow Ryan Holiday at:
- Yes, yes, yes and yes! Thrivetime Nation on today’s show we are interviewing Ryan Holiday who is the best-selling writer and media strategist who dropped out of college at the age of 19 years old to apprentice under the great Robert Greene, who is the author of The 48 Laws of Power. Ryan, welcome onto The Thrivetime Show! How are you sir?
- Ryan Holiday I know that you’ve had a ton of success at this point in your career, but I would love to start off at the bottom and the very beginning of your career. What was your life like growing up and where did you grow up?
- When did you first figure out what you wanted to do professionally?
- Ryan Holiday, you had a successful marketing career at American Apparel and went on to found a creative agency called Brass Check, where you advised clients like Google, TASER, and Complex, as well as many prominent bestselling authors, including Neil Strauss, Tony Robbins and Tim Ferriss…when did you first feel like you were truly beginning to gain traction with your career?
- BOOK Recommendation – The Ego is the Enemy
- BOOK Recommendation – The Obstacle is the Way
- BOOK Recommendation – Lives of the Stoics
- Ryan Holiday, I was first introduced to your writing through the book, The Obstacle Is The Way…if one of our listeners out there is going to have to pick one of your books to be there first Ryan Holliday book to read, what book would it be and why?
- Ryan Holiday, I would love for you to share with our listeners what stoicism is all about and why you are passionate about it?
- When did you first get introduced to stoicism?
- Discipline of the Will
- How can embracing the stoic mindset improve the lives of our business-owning listeners?
- Ryan, was first inspired you to write your newest book, LIVES OF THE STOICS: The Art of Living from Zeno to Marcus Aurelius?
- Ryan, each chapter of your new book is a mini-biography of an important Stoic from over 500 years of history, which includes twenty-six profiles in all…I would love for you to share what our readers can expect to learn about Marcus Aurelius in your book and why it matters?
- Ryan Holiday, in your book you write about Seneca. Who was he and what can our listeners learn from Seneca in your new book, LIVES OF THE STOICS: The Art of Living from Zeno to Marcus Aurelius?
- Ryan, when are you and The New England Patriots’ head coach Bill Belichick going to team up to write, The Stoic Mindset for Athletes, Entrepreneurs and Goal Pursuers?
- Ryan Holiday, how would you describe your relationship with Tim Ferriss and how did you first meet Tim?
- What is your favorite old school jam?
- Old School Jam – MxPx – I’m OK, You Are OK, Today Is In My Way
- What advice would you give the younger version of yourself?
- You’ve got the mic, what is one thing that you want to share with the Thrive Nation before you drop the mic?